Senior Software Design Engineer
As a Senior Software Design Engineer, you will be working as part of dynamic team who thrive on the day-to-day challenges of delivering projects at pace. As a senior engineer you will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of control system software solutions. You will play a crucial role in understanding and implementing customer specifications, providing technical leadership, and mentoring other team members.
Systems will be simple HMI solutions with 10’s of IO, through to the multi-VFD systems with full SCADA and PLC systems with 100’s of IO.
Systems will typically consist of VFDs, PLC’s and HMI with communication interconnections.
You will consult with customers to develop an understanding of each machine and its requirements, while working within specific time frames and budgets.
The job will suit someone who enjoys a wide variety of projects and has an ability to quickly assimilate knowledge and experience to new platforms and products. Occasional UK and overseas travel for commissioning support may also be required on more complex projects.
Coding and Development
Write clean, efficient, and well commented code in accordance with English, predominantly in Ladder Logic, but also other forms when appropriate.
Use a consistent coding format based on internal standards.
Provide technical guidance and mentorship to other team members including the test department.
Collaborate with other engineers to drive technical excellence within the team.
Ability to work on several projects in parallel and schedule your work to meet deadlines.
To quickly understand different machines with sometimes limited information and develop solutions for these challenges.
Debug and troubleshoot issues, ensuring timely resolution, including overseeing functional software test at our site in Bromsgrove.
To work with, listen to and encourage team members through all phases of the project cycle.
Consult with, and sometimes support on site, the installation and commissioning phases of the project to ensure successful and timely completion to the customers’ satisfaction.
Participate in code reviews to maintain code quality and ensure adherence to coding standards.
To develop and maintain good relationships with customers.
Create and maintain comprehensive documentation for design, code, and implementation details.
Keep documentation up to date with changes and improvements.
- Degree in Electric/Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Member of a related professional body – preferably chartered.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in software design and development of systems controls
- Proven expertise in designing and implementing large-scale, mission-critical systems.
- Proven experience in the following:
- PLC’s – Working with Siemens (Simatic Manager/TIA Portal (LAD & SCL)) and Rockwell, including safety systems.
- HMI– Working with (TIA WinCC Advanced/Panelview)
- SCADA– Working with (WinCC/TiaWinCC/InTouch/ViewDesigner)
- Industry standard communication protocols
- Working with Ethernet (IP) and Profinet and ideally Modbus, Profibus, Profisafe, ControlNet, CTNet.)
- Building complete software solutions from initial concept for projects for systems based around 1 High level PLC (S7-151x or 1756-Lxx) with multiple remote IO nodes, and other intelligent devices on the network. E.g., Drives, Encoders, Temperature controllers
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work in a collaborative team environment, particularly able to support the sales team with initial bids and costing of projects and to ensure that ongoing contracts meet the customers’ expectation.
- System Design using Eplan is very advantageous.
- Some SQL Knowledge
- Alternate Programming Platforms
- Older Programming platform
- Competitive salary.
- Company car / car allowance.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Death in Service insurance.
- Professional development opportunities.